By Suman Bhatia, Seattle, Washington, United States
What is a perfect samosa?
What inspired you to choose this particular dish as your favorite?
Samosa has been a favorite of mine since childhood. It was a regular evening snack at home almost everyday when I was a kid.
How did you first discover this recipe?
I learned this recipe from my mother. She is an excellent cook, and I used to help her in the kitchen as a child. Samosa was one of the first dish she taught me.
I loved the inside filling of potato and peas most when I was a kid. But now as an adult I enjoy the outer cover more.
Can you describe the taste and texture of the dish?
Samosa has a crispy outer cover and a soft and spicy texture from the potato and peas. I loved the inside filling of potato and peas most when I was a kid. But now as an adult I enjoy the outer cover more.
What ingredients are essential for this dish? List ingredients needed for a recipe that can be cooked for 2 people?
To make Aloo Matar Samosa for 2 people, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- For the filling: 1 large potato, 1/2 cup green peas, 1/2 onion, 1 green chili, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp oil
- For the dough: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp ajwain seeds, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oil, water (as required)
Are there any substitutions or modifications that can be made to the recipe?
You can substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or a combination of both for a healthier option. You can also add other vegetables like carrots or cauliflower to the filling to make it more nutritious and flavorful.
What kitchen tools are necessary to prepare this dish? You’ll need a mixing bowl, a rolling pin, a frying pan, a slotted spoon, and a blender or food processor to make the filling.
Can you walk us through the step-by-step process of making this dish?
Here are the general steps to make Aloo Matar Samosa:
- Prepare the dough by mixing all the dough ingredients and kneading it until smooth. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Boil the potato until tender, then mash it.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onions and green chili until soft. Add the cumin seeds, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder, and salt, then mix well.
Are there any tips or tricks you’ve learned over time for perfecting this dish?
Folding and giving the shape is the most time consuming. But gradually with experience you will learn that it’s basically making a triangular pocket and filling it with the potato and peas mix.
How long does it take to prepare and cook the dish?
The whole process after you have all the ingredients available is about 30 to 50 minutes.
What are some complementary foods or drinks that pair well with this dish?
You can serve Aloo Matar Samosas with mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or tomato ketchup. It pairs well with a hot cup of masala chai or any other tea.
Categories: Favorite Food Recipe